Display & Programmatic Advertising
“Content is fire; social media is gasoline.” –Jay Baer, Bestselling Author, Marketing Expert and Founder of Convince & Convert
Display ads are useful for branding as well as performance marketing. On the Branding side, you would like to use sophisticated targeting options to channel your budget to the most relevant audience to maximise its impact. Display also works very well as a performance medium in remarketing campaigns, promoting specials, and nurturing existing clients and prospects.
The Google Display Network (GDN) provides a huge inventory of placements and is a cost effective medium to reach a wide audience. Conversion Science also offers our programmatic display advertising service through our Google Marketing Platform partnership utilising the Display & Video 360 (DV360) stack. The DV360 platform provides access to buy premium inventory and ad exchanges to build a comprehensive media plan. Larger advertisers will also benefit from better control on brand safety and bulk creation rollout.
How Conversion Science can help you:
1. As a Performance Marketing Agency, our display and programmatic advertising services focus on optimizing return on investment campaigns for prospecting new users, remarketing to returning users or efficient Branding spend.
2. Our Campaign Managers are Google Marketing Platform certified specialists, therefore we are able to execute successful display marketing campaigns through GDN or the more sophisticated DV360. We understand delivering effective branding campaigns to the right audience.
3. We can develop an attribution analysis to help quantify the value of display campaigns.
4. Integrating DV360 with other stack platforms such as Campaign Manager 360, Search Ads 360, and Analytics 360 will provide a data-rich ecosystem. We can achieve highly optimized campaigns based on the comprehensive audience information and view into the marketing attribution obtained.
Google Display is one of the campaign types available on the Google Ads platform. Display ads are served on the Google Display Network, which consists of over two million websites that reach over 90% of internet users (source: google.com). The advertiser’s ads are shown on the articles, videos, or websites that consumers browse. The Display Network is great for both performance-driven and brand awareness campaigns, with audiences and bidding strategies available to fit your campaign objective.
Best Practice Recommendations:
- Create a variety of ad/banner sizes to be able to compete more effectively for ad inventory space.
- Include logo images (only where applicable).
- Clearly & simply communicate your message – make sure the value proposition is clearly communicated.
- Use high quality imagery/assets (some ad types get disapproved for poor quality).
- Make sure your display message/content mirrors your landing page content (ads can be disapproved for false advertising if you land them on a website page which does not speak to the content on the actual ad).
There are two campaign subtypes available for Display, Standard and Smart. The Standard campaign allows you to select your targeting and setting with some automation available. With this type of campaign you are afforded greater control when it comes to audience and creative selection. Smart campaigns simplify the creation and management of the campaign by using automation when it comes to audiences, bids and creatives, you are only required to upload image assets in two sizes and additional copy (headlines and descriptions) that will dynamically change size to fit available ad inventory space.
Standard display campaign audiences are split into five main categories:
- Interest Categories (affinity for shopping, in-market for apparel etc.)
- Life Events (job status, business creation, moving etc.)
- Detailed Demographics (marital status, education, employment etc.)
- Remarketing Lists (website visitors, customer lists and similar-to audiences)
- Custom Audiences (based off of specific keywords, URLs, and Apps related to your product)
Smart Display audiences are automated, with the Google algorithm targeting website visitors, as well as using insights from your landing pages and best performing search keywords to automatically target customers across the web.
For Standard Display campaigns, there are image, HTML5 and AMPHTML formats available. The image formats can be a GIF, JPG or PNG file type with a max file size of 150 KB. Image sizes available for Standard Display are square, rectangle, leaderboard, skyscraper and mobile. These ad formats are used when you want control over creative look and feel, as well as messaging. For Smart Display campaigns, Responsive Display Ads (RDAs) are the main ad format. These ad types consist of image assets (lifestyle or product focused), YouTube videos, text headlines and descriptions. This type of ad format is more dynamic in which you upload the ad assets, and Google will automatically generate an ad. Google can adapt the ad sizes to better suit the available ad inventory and can also adapt the combination of assets to those which perform best.
**Responsive Display Ads are now also available on Standard Display campaigns.
Bidding strategies for Display, as for other campaign types, can be grouped into conversion-focused,revenue-focused, and awareness-focused. Bidding strategies available for Standard Display are:
- Viewable CPM
- Max Conversions (with Target CPA option)
- Enhanced CPC
- Target ROAS
Bidding Strategies for Smart Display
- Max Conversions (with Target CPA option)
- Target ROAS
- Max Conversions
Display campaigns are tracked using Google Ads conversion tracking or imported goals from Google Analytics. When using Google Ads tracking, you will also be able to see view-through conversions. This metric shows how many sales occurred after someone saw your ad but did not click-through immediately. With the intent being much lower on Display, such insights are important to evaluate whether the campaign has been a success or not. For Brand Awareness focused campaigns, metrics such as reach and viewable impr can be used for measuring success.
Get In Touch With Us
“Conversion Science takes a lot of time to learn about our business and product.”
Clutch.co Feedback Summary
Conversion Science’s work meets all client expectations. The team helped foster a 10–15% revenue increase YoY. They’re organized, efficient, and communicative. They ensure that all materials are prepared in a timely fashion. Conversion Science is a dedicated team that drives results.